Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hopes for 2013 NAIS Annual Conference

The Online Community for the 2013 NAIS Annual Conference asked for responses to this question for an opening discussion: What do you want to see and or hear at this year’s Annual Conference?
I don’t know.
I hope that response doesn’t make me seem thoughtless or sarcastic or both. I honestly don’t know…at least not in any specific way. There’s no particular message I want to hear, no program that I want to learn about.
Instead, what I want to see and hear is, quite literally, what I don’t know. I hope for something that jabs me with that jolt of realization, of insight, the sort of “Aha!” that kickstarts my mind into overdrive. I don’t need another workshop on flipped instruction; I need my sense of order and possibility flipped and jumbled in a way that forces me to do some reconstructing. But at the same time, I want to see and hear points that affirm and re-affirm why independent schools are so important, that our missions are more than generic verbiage and actually drive us to make the world better (or at least our own little corners of it).

No comments: