Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Making What?

     I'm very excited that next week our middle school is having a special Make!@St.John's day. Faculty have been planning really special events, and the kids are all fired up. The hands-on, creative work will fill the building with even more energy than usual.
    I've written before about some really big-picture, idealistic thoughts about the idea of making. You can read the whole post here. The key passage is the following about makerspaces:
I love the philosophy behind them--that hands-on, make-a-mess, take-chances sort of experiential learning. I love the active engagement of makerspaces. I love that they are places where kids do rather than get done. So I don't deliberative because of any pedagogical reasons. I just want us to take five or ten and think about a big question.       Shouldn't the entire school be a makerspace? Either literally or metaphorically?
With that in mind, I've been brainstorming about the many and varied things students can make in the right sort of school:

  • Meaning.
  • Sense.
  • Inquiries.
  • Models (Real, Scale, Theoretical).
  • Friends.
  • A Difference.
  • Decisions.
  • Progress.
  • Course Corrections.
  • A Case.
  • Wishes Come True.
  • Someone's Day.
  • A Contribution.
  • Assertions.
  • Educated Guesses.
  • Their Mark.
  • A Statement.
  • Objects.
  • Apps.
  • Art.
  • Connections.

     The list is incomplete. Even so, it suggests the most important thing a student makes in the right school. A Life.

No comments: