Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Hope at Start of School Year...and Beyond

     The beginning of a new year is special because of how it captures such a sense of hope and possibility. The adults sense it in each student, and the kids trust in us to help them discover all the ways their innate sense of it can turn into startling realities. When it works right, it stokes that joyful sense of learning.Then you have students wanting to return to school.
     Of course, those who've never been harbor some trepidation, no matter what they've been told. It's why one of my favorite scenes during the opening couple of weeks is at morning carpool. A pre-K or K child will be reluctant, barely inching along the sidewalk, eyes bulging and sometimes a bit moist. Then an older child--usually a sibling, sometimes a family friend, sometimes just an empathetic upper elementary or middle schooler--will clasp the small child's hand or drape an arm around their shoulders, smile and whisper some encouragement, and walk them in. A small but giant kindness.
     When I see such scenes, ones that children re-create in myriad ways without really thinking, I feel hopeful. They are why why we see them, to be cliched, as the hope for the future. At the same time, it reminds us that at our core people are basically kind and helpful, something we can forget as we suffer what feel like daily blizzards of vitriol in these turbulent, divisive times.
     Last week I had a five-day period during which I had quite a bit of travel, pinging around different time zones. Between travel and appointments, I decided to observe and reflect on random human behavior, particularly how we treat strangers. Other than one guy yelling over the phone at a service agent about a flight situation, I saw nothing I would describe as rude. Instead, I saw general niceness. Here's just a partial list of incidents which stand out: 

  • People helping others stow and take down carry-on luggage on an airplane.
  • My son's college roommate waiting for him to arrive before setting anything up so they could decide how to arrange things together.
  • The lady who helped a struggling mom fold up a stroller as her toddler screamed.
  • Drivers letting each other in during a rush hour traffic jam.
  • The hotel clerk who had our room cleaned in a tight time frame as we requested.
  • A teen helping an older couple figure out how to check in at the airport.
  • Incredible patience by many with a person who kept getting buzzed in the metal detector.
  • The clerk who helped with my luggage when I returned my rental car and double-checked to make sure I knew the way to the terminal.
  • The man who told his aisle-mate on the plan, "You got stuck in the middle. Take the arm rest."
  • The stranger who complimented my t-shirt.
  • The gate agent who smiled broadly and thanked every person boarding my early Sunday morning flight.
  • The person who helped me figure out the card system on my hotel's elevator.

I could add several others, many directed at me and my family. It was an encouraging and affirming. They reminded me of those opening of school scenes.
    In the current political climate, many from both ends of the spectrum are putting all their hope in the mid-term elections. Yes, they matter greatly. But the more I experience and learn, the more I believe solutions and meaningful, positive won't be found in elected leaders or systems, though they can help. Not just in politics, but in any complex human endeavor, including schools. Instead, it's up to each individual and the multiple choices we make each day. We have it in us. As in so many other things, we can lead the children lead us. They embody hope.


No comments: